Still new to the blogging world, I’m trying to find my niche.
I’m your typical single 20-something gal trying to enjoy my life while simultaneously trying not to destroy it. I live in a vibrant and exciting part of Chicago and work in the Loop, and like to spend my time exploring all that this wonderful city has to offer.
I’ve had an avid interest in health, fitness and nutrition since high school. At my heaviest in high school, I was large, miserable and uncomfortable in my own body. Seeing pictures of myself at a school dance quickly lead to tears, and I realized I had to make a change in my life. I talked my parents into buying me a gym membership (too bad they won’t pay for it now!), and over the course of a year, lost about 30 pounds. I still had a long road ahead of me at that point and certainly have fluctuated quite a bit since — especially throughout college — but maintaining a lifestyle of (mostly) healthy eating and exercise is an important part of my life.
Don’t let this fool you though — I do all the bad things you secretly do too, but are probably too embarrassed to admit: I like wine a little too much; I date men that are obviously all wrong for me; I sometimes spend more money going out to eat than I do on rent; my running playlist probably contains more Britney Spears than is appropriate for someone my age; I have two cats that I regularly converse with; and sometimes, it’s considered a healthy day if I merely get veggies on my pizza. Life isn’t worth living without indulging from time to time — the trick is finding the right balance. I hope to document all of the above, and then some.
I love to laugh, do silly things and most of all, write. I write most of the day for my job, but this is my place to let it all out….the good, the bad and the ugly. Hopefully there isn’t too much of the ugly ;)
What you’ll find on here:
- Various workouts and tips for people who love fitness and healthy living, but don’t have the time to make it the number one focus of their life (I have way too many other fun things going on for that!).
- Musings on life, love and happiness from someone who wants to (and truly believes that she can) have it all.
- Unabashed confessions of the ridiculous crap that happens in my life (see: the pee story).
- Regular bitching about how it’s impossible to find a decent guy while living in between Chicago’s largest gay community and Wrigley freakin’ Field (GO WHITE SOX!!!).
- Links to blogs, sites, music and more that I find particularly interesting, noteworthy or quite simply – awesome.
- Delicious recipes and kitchen adventures. I love to cook, especially for other people, and have found that I have a knack for whipping up really creative and tasty food. Lately I’ve been trying to re-create recipes or meals that are balanced and can be eaten every day, not just on special occasions.
- A glimpse into my life through the lens of food, health and fitness, and friends.
- What I eat, three times a day, every day. If something is particularly delicious or noteworthy, I’ll document it, but this isn’t a log of what I eat every day.
- Unrealistic fitness/healthy living advice. I’m real, and I’m in no way perfect.
- Lies — I am brutally honest, sometimes to fault. Again, see: the pee story.
- Dramatic weight loss. While I do have some fitness and health goals in mind, I am at a healthy (albeit high end of normal) weight, so I’m not going to be making any dramatic weight losses anytime soon (not that I wouldn’t like to, but I know myself, and I know that ain’t gonna happen — haha).
While I started this blog mainly for myself in the beginning, I hope I can give you a few laughs as well. Comments are always appreciated, and enjoy the ride! :)
You can contact me at prettylittlewordsblog at gmail dot com, or follow me on Twitter: @plittlewords.